Completing our woodworking projects is a satisfying moment, as we contemplate the result of hard work, lots of time invested, and much more effort put into each task. Then, you look the other way and see that now is the time to clean up the mess caused by the drilling and chipping.
It could be a tedious task if it wasn’t for the best dust extractor.
5?Best Dust Extractor Wirecutter : Editor?s Pick
This incredible unit makes cleaning much easier, faster, and even more fun. Featuring powerful motors and reliable HEPA filters, there’s no debris or dust left behind in the workspace once you pass the hose over it.
Want to know how these machines improve the cleaning experience? Let’s find out!
10 Best Dust Extractor Wirecutter Review:
Since the options are many, we’re focusing this part of our dust extractor review on talking about the machines that delivered the most effective performance under different applications. The list came down to only 10 choices, which we’ll review next.
1. DEWALT 20V MAX Dust Extractor, Tool Only (DWH161B)
- High mobility, compact and lightweight OSHA Table 1 Compliant solution. HEPA filter is included in...
- DEWALT dust extractor has 45% more capacity than DWH302DH dust box to keep up with the demands of...
- Multiple strap connection points and a belt hook enable the user to position the dust extractor for...
The ultimate dust extractor unit comes from a well-renowned brand: DEWALT. This device is remarkable for many reasons, with its high portability and surprising power among them.
Also, the machine has an optimized system that is compatible with a wide range of tools, including drywall cutout tools, routers, jigsaws, and others.
This dust extractor features a 20V brushless motor, which is quite powerful. It provides enough power to keep the unit up and running consistently, allowing us to do all the cleaning needed across the workspace.
To make things easier, the system has a Wireless Tool Control function that makes it possible to link extractor and tool for remote activation. This feature is convenient and useful, though the key fob doesn’t come included in the purchase.
The shoulder strap is another plus, as it lets us carry the unit comfortably without having to drag it across the floors. Considering there are multiple points to connect the strap, you can set it up just how you want it.
For those and many more reasons, this machine is the best dust extractor vacuum available. Not only is it powerful and efficient, but also lightweight and compact for excellent comfort and balance.
- Compact, portable, and lightweight unit with HEPA filter included
- Features an optimized system compatible with many tools
- 20V MAX brushless motor offers enough power for constant runtime
- Includes strap and belt hook to use the extractor with comfort and balance
- Key fob not included in the purchase
2. Fes tool 574837 CT Midi I Hepa Bluetooth Dust Extractor
- Touch operation for intuitive control of the mobile dust extractor
- Saves you a trip to the extractor – thanks to the integrated Bluetooth technology, the mobile dust...
- Sys-dock with T-Loc for connecting sustainers in an instant
By providing a suction force of 130 CFM and a static water lift of 96-inch, this device excels at what it does. It can extract large amounts of debris in less time, under an operation that barely makes any noise.
It?s the ideal choice if you want to do the cleaning with no loud noises in the background.
Other than being capable, the motor is safe under all circumstances. It comes equipped with thermal protection, which automatically shuts off the unit in case the system gets too hot.
One thing we loved about this unit is the Touch Panel. Not only is it easy to use, but it also lets us operate and control the functions of the extractor. This panel is highly intuitive for inexperienced users and responsive to allow its usage even with gloves.
Additionally, the anti-static braided hose sleeve is an excellent accessory to keep the hose protected from damage. While not in use, you can store the hose in the internal holder, which is yet another welcomed feature many will like about this unit.
While it?s unfortunate that some accessories like the wet filter or the Bluetooth button don?t come included, separately purchasing them is worth it. After trying the unit, you?ll find out quickly why it?s one of the most-liked dust extractors out there.
- Efficient performance with a 15-Amp motor that offers 130 CFM
- Touch panel is intuitive and easy to use
- Compact, lightweight, and portable design
- Includes a compartment to keep the hose stored after use
- Some needed accessories don?t come included in the purchase
3. Fes tool 574930 CT 26 E HEPA Dust Extractor
- Constantly high suction because of the compact high performance turbine
- Smooth suction hose and optimized sys-dock with cord holder and t-loc function for conveniently...
- Economical because of the optimal use of the available volume with a selfclean filter bag in the...
With a 10-Amp motor, the CT 26 unit can produce around 137 CFM of air flow and 97-inch of water lift. Though it certainly isn?t the most powerful you?ll find, it?s due to its reliability that this machine earns its place as the best portable dust extractor for many people.
The motor provides power, while the design of the unit gives us proper methods to control its operations. In that regard, the variable speed function allows us to adjust the suction power offered by the extractor, meaning we can use this machine for many applications.
This unit is also reliable due to its consistency. It can provide constant suction force from the compact yet powerful turbine, allowing the system to absorb a lot of debris quickly.
Plus, the device includes sys-dock with a cord holder as well the T-Loc function, which makes it possible to connect Systainer to the unit. Due to the self-clean filter bag included in the container, this dust extractor efficiently uses the available volume space to pick up debris.
While not the most powerful unit, this unit qualifies as a high-quality HEPA dust extractors. With a combination of suction power, proper controls, and efficient filters, no debris will escape this machine.
- Lightweight, compact, and portable unit for more convenience
- High container capacity of 26L for continuous performance
- Compact turbine delivers efficient suction power to pick up any debris
- Comes with a welcomed onboard storage compartment
- Not as powerful as other units in the market
4. DEWALT DWV0108-Gallon Dust Extractor with Automatic Filter Cleaning
- Automatic Filter Clean of the dust extractor pulses every 30 seconds for continuous operation...
- 15-amp motor of DEWALT dust extractor delivers 150 CFM of airflow
- Power Tool Actuation controls the On/Off operations of the vacuum with a power tool
This dust extractor comes with a powerful 15 Amp motor, which is highly convenient for many reasons. Firstly, it puts out 130 CFM of airflow, effectively delivering maximum suction energy to pick up almost anything. Whether at home or office, this unit is the one to have.
The 15 Amp motor isn?t the only similarity this unit shares with other DEWALT extractors. Due to the Automatic Filter Cleaning system, the device pulses every 30 seconds, guaranteeing continuous operation.
This feature works perfectly, allowing users to do a thorough cleaning in many rooms.
By weighing only 27 lbs, the extractor is both lightweight and portable. At the bottom, the four wheels attached make it easy to move the unit around. While the 8 feet power cord isn?t the longest, it still provides enough work freedom to move around the room without limitations.
The unit comes fully assembled, so there?s no stress of putting every piece together. Other than the device, you get a couple of HEPA filters and an anti-static hose to make the cleaning tasks easy.
Cable management, on the other hand, is a bit tricky with this unit. The 8 feet power cord won?t give you any issues in terms of performance, but sometimes you don?t know where to put it. Work your way around this mild inconvenience, and you?ll have a reliable dust extractor.
- A powerful yet quiet 15-Amp motor provides 130 CFM of airflow
- Automatic Filter Cleaning system for an efficient performance
- Lightweight & portable, easy to move
- Variable speed dial makes it easy to use the unit
- Poor cable management
5. DEWALTDWV01210-Gal Dust Extractor with Automatic Filter
- Automatic Filter Clean of the dust extractor pulses every 30 seconds for continuous operations...
- Powerful 15 amp motor of DEWALT dust extractor delivers 155 CFM of airflow for maximum suction
- Power Tool Actuation controls the On/Off operations of the vacuum with a power tool
While this machine may seem similar to the DWV010 device, there are a bunch of differences that separate the two units. In this case, the dust extractor is a 10-gallon device, unlike the other, which is only 8 gallons. Additionally, the telescoping handle makes it much easier to move this one.
For an efficient operation, the unit features variable suction controls that are straightforward and easy to use. Through these functions, you can adjust the power consumption of this machine as well as the amount of suction. It?s safe to say that this extractor can adapt to your needs quickly.
The motor works at 15-Amp, capable of delivering 140 CFM of airflow. Once activated, the extractor?s filter pulses once every 30 seconds to create a continuous performance. All of these features work well together, efficiently removing large amounts of dust, debris, and other particles.
Though the extractor meets expectations, the lack of tool adaptors is a bit of a letdown. You?d have to buy them separately for better connections, which is an extra expense you?d have to make. However, fully committing to this unit improves your cleaning experience at home significantly.
- Powerful 15 Amp can provide up to 140 CFM of airflow
- Includes Automatic Filter Clean for continuous operation
- Allows users to control power consumption and suction
- Telescoping handle included makes this unit easy to move around
- Lacks tool adaptors, which you?d have to buy separately
6. JET DC-1100VX-CK 1.5-HP Dust Collector, 2-Micron Canister Kit (708659K)
- VORTEX CONE: Improves chip separation and collector bag packing efficiency.
- QUICK-CONNECT COLLECTION BAGS: Fast, easy installation and removal.
- HIGH AIR VELOCITY DESIGN: Stands up to any competitive specifications.
Alright, this one’s a bit interesting. Not the ideal choice for people that enjoy their tools compact, but a worthy acquisition if you want a powerful and consistent unit to remove dust, debris, and more.
First off, this unit is a heavy-weight, bulky device that requires assembly before first use. Luckily, the instructions included are easy to follow, allowing users to put all the pieces together smoothly.
Besides all the main parts, the machine has four casters for improved maneuverability and portability.
What do you get after assembly? The unit has a single-stage build to provide a quiet, constant operation. With industrial controls, operating the machine is quite simple for experienced and inexperienced users.
Plus, the collection bags have elastic bands that make those easy to install and remove when necessary.
By featuring a 1.5 HP motor, the suction power delivered is suitable for many tasks. There’s also a cooling fan included, which protects the machine by preventing overheating and other issues that may cause accidents.
Naturally, the biggest disadvantage of this machine is its bulky and heavy build. Many don’t like that it requires assembly, but the whole process is surprisingly intuitive and straightforward. The informative instructions are also a plus here.
- Comes with a capable 1.5 HP motor and proper cooling fan
- Provides high air velocity to put up with most cleaning tasks
- The industrial controls are easy to use
- Easy assembly process thanks to detailed instructions included
- This unit is heavy and bulky, not ideal for those that want a portable dust extractor
7. Bosch 9 GallonVAC090AH Dust Extractor with Auto Filter Clean & HEPA Filter
- AUTO CLEANING: With automatic filter cleaning, the Bosch VAC090AH dust extractor cleans the filter...
- PERFORMANCE: The included HEPA filter caputres 99.97 percent of particles at 0.3 microns or larger...
- OSHA COMPLIANT: Featuring Bosch PRO plus GUARD, an end to end dust collection system to help users...
The suction power this unit provides is outstanding. For woodworkers, it won’t matter if you leave a mess behind after drilling or cutting materials, as the dust extractor is capable of picking both larger and finer debris. Even better, this machine operates quickly and efficiently.
Due to its simple design, the unit has a big, red power dial that you can turn to either the ‘Vacuum’ or the ‘Power Tool Activation’ function.
In the vacuum mode, the suction power picks up every bit of dust from the workspaces. On the other hand, the ‘Power Tool Activation’ mode allows the extractor to kick on/off after turning the device on/off.
Since the unit comes with a 99.97% efficient HEPA filter, each operation is efficient and safe. You can spend days using this machine, and even then, the inside of the container remains as clean as it was when you received the device.
Keep in mind that the HEPA filter attached to this unit is a bit delicate. During maintenance, be careful to handle it properly to avoid any incidents. If done correctly, both the filters and the dust extractor should serve you well for many years.
- Filter activation every 15 seconds makes up for an efficient performance
- With 150 CFM or air volume offered, this unit is among the most powerful within its price range
- Includes intuitive speed controls as well as other useful functions
- Lightweight and manageable for a better experience
- HEPA filter included is delicate, requiring caution during maintenance
8. Bosch VAC090A 9-Gallon Dust Extractor with Auto Filter Clean
- Automatic Filter Cleaning: Cleans filter every 15 seconds to maintain maximum suction power
- L-BOXX Integration: Instantly creates a mobile workstation
- Power Tool Activation: Allows power tool's switch to turn vacuum on and off
The automatic functions this unit provides are incredible.
For example, the system efficiently optimizes the usage of available power to prevent incidents like a blown circuit. Also, the system protects the motor by automatically shutting down the extractor if the water reaches maximum height.
The motor, a 15-amps piece, can provide up to 150 CFM of airflow for a powerful performance. Other than being easy to lift and move because of its lightweight build, this unit cleans the filter every 15 seconds to hold the maximum suction power offered.
Another benefit of this unit is how easily you get to maneuver it. Thanks to the L-BOXX integration mechanism, users have the option to create a mobile workstation almost immediately. While moving between areas, this function takes care of the hassle of handling a heavy machine.
From the outside, there are two things we liked: the rugged construction featuring polypropylene for the tank and the rubber wheels with the locking caster. Moving the unit and operating it are easy tasks, thanks to these small yet useful features.
However, users must be cautious while moving the unit across rooms. If you?re not careful, the rear wheels can leave black marks over light-colored floors. Making sure you?re not dragging the extractor sideways will help you keep the surfaces clean.
- A powerful performance by providing 150 CFM airflow
- Comes with Automatic Filter Cleaning, which activates every 15s
- Power Broker Dial helps users optimize usage of power available
- Includes a sensor to shut down the unit if water reaches max height
- Can leave dark spots if dragged over light-colored surfaces
9. Fes tool 584174 CT SYS Dust Extractor
- Portable and compact
- Full unit hepa certification
- Lightweight with high performance dust extraction capabilities
Created with a portable and compact design, there?s a ton of benefits this unit has in store for us. Besides being powerful, the extractor offers perfect system integration, making it compatible and stackable with T-LOC systems to guarantee efficiency at the workplace.
Above anything else, the extractor offers convenience to make our work easier. It includes an on-board outlet connection as well as auto settings, translating into a tool-triggered function to initiate the dust extraction processes automatically.
Unlike other dust extractors that require you to buy attachments separately, this one comes with a standard HEPA filter to remove dust and debris. The unit does its job well, quickly leaving the surfaces clean with no dirt particles behind.
The upper storage section is yet another convenient feature of this device. It allows users to keep the hose and cord under control while moving the unit, reducing the risks of accidents by tripping. Putting everything inside takes a bit of time due to the storage’s small design, but it?s still good.
Thanks to the unit?s capable dust extraction power and convenient portable features, this extractor puts up an efficient performance. It may be a bit expensive, but the inclusion of attachments in the purchase means fewer extra costs.
- Portable and compact design
- Works with an included HEPA filter that removes almost all debris
- Comes with an anti-static hose
- Offers integrated storage for the hose, cable and nozzle
- Storing the hose and cord would be easier if the upper section was a bit larger
10. Pulse-Bac 550H Dust Extractor – HEPA Certified w/Auto Filter Cleaning
- Pulse-Bac(R) Automatic Filter Cleaning
- 150 CFM | 87" Lift
- HEPA Certified
If you want the best vacuum for dust collection, the straightforward design of this unit makes it an option you definitely should consider. This device doesn’t beat around the bush, as it mostly consists of an 8-gallon steel tank, handles, and wheels.
Nonetheless, the power of this unit is undeniable. Even if you use it to extract particles like concrete dust, there’s no suction loss in the slightest. After hours of using the vacuum, the filters performed well, requiring no cleaning until every bit of dust got removed.
For improved performance, the unit has three filters instead of the standard two or one. You get two twist-on HEPA filters rated at 100% efficiency, and the other one is visible inside the housing of the motor. This last one ranks at 99.99% efficiency.
While the first two filters are easy to access, the third isn’t easily accessible. Luckily, there’s almost no need to clean or replace it any time soon.
What we didn’t like about this unit is its portability issues. Though it comes with wheels for easy transport, there are only two of them, meaning you’d have to roll the extractor tilted backward.
Also, the bottom of the tank sits directly over the ground, which isn’t ideal for finished flooring as it could cause unpleasant damage to it.
- Delivers up to 150 CFM of airflow and87-inch lift
- Outstanding build featuring powder-coated steel and ABS
- Features automatic filter cleaning for an efficient performance
- Simple, easy to use, and compact
- The tank’s resting position can damage finished floors
What to Look for Before Buying?
Not sure how to pick one? Whether you need the best portable dust collector or a heavy-duty unit, consider the following information to guarantee the machine you end up buying will meet your demands.
The CFM rating is a clear indication of the dust extractor. This term refers to Cubic Feet per Minute, and it encapsulates the basic airflow produced by the units for suction purposes.
Units with a lower CFM rating aren’t as powerful as their higher counterparts, which means they need more time to suction large dust concentrations.
Ideally, you want to have woodworking dust extractors that provide between 50-150 CFM light-duty cleaning.
Making a dust extractor comparison with small car vacuums wouldn’t be fair because the former is bigger and takes more space than the latter.
Before purchasing a dust extractor, you’ll have to consider a unit that easily fits within the workspace ? if you get a large machine, it’d naturally require more free space for use and storage.
Don’t worry. Even though smaller units aren’t as powerful, they still provide the suction power to do regular cleaning tasks.
Don’t want to empty the unit regularly? Then a large collection compartment is what you need for your dust extractor. While searching for the right machine, you’ll find that the capacities vary between 10 and 50 liters depending on the models.
Dealing with dust can quickly lead to respiratory issues if we don’t handle it properly. Dust extractors are a good way of getting rid of debris, but the device needs adequate filters.
You can go for two options: the micro filter or the HEPA filter. Both are popular and effective, but HEPA filters are the go-to choice for many people due to their efficiency.
Whether you’re cleaning dust, debris, or other stuff, the HEPA filters efficiently trap allergens and microbes that would otherwise create respiratory issues.
If you want to get rid of every bit of dust particle, your dust extractor must have a large hose capable of reaching into tight spots. Additionally, the hose requires a protective cover that keeps potential damage away.
Other Features to Consider
You also have to consider things like wheels for mobility, cable management, onboard storage to keep cables organized, variable speed functions, and weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the dust extractor used for?
These units remove sawdust and debris out of the workspace. Once it picks up the buildups, the dust extractors leave a clean surface to avoid respiratory health issues.
2. Can you use a vacuum as a dust extractor?
Technically, yes, you can use a vacuum as a dust extractor. However, there are some limitations to consider, such as the capacity and compatibility with other power tools. In that sense, the better option out of the two for woodworkers would be the dust extractor.
3. What is an M dust extractor?
M Class dust extractors are perfect for hardwoods, concrete, dust left by bricks, and board materials.
4. Are dust extractors safe?
Yes. The dust extractors have powerful motors with proper ventilation to prevent overheating. Additionally, the HEPA filters included handle debris properly, and they barely need maintenance.
5. What’s a good power tool dust extractor hose?
The right hose size depends entirely on the needs of each individual. Larger hoses would allow you to have more reach, and thus, perform better cleaning.
With the best dust extractor, you can say goodbye to the many issues and inconveniences caused by sawdust and debris around the workplace. Focus on finding the unit most suitable for your needs, as the size, power, and capacity varies between each model.